[Konsole-devel] Extending TerminalInterface

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Fri Mar 27 13:37:15 UTC 2009

Robert Knight wrote:
> We have facilities for this in Linux and OpenSolaris.  These usually
> provide 'good enough' information about what is going on in the
> terminal but they are not and will not be completely reliable.

Well, I remember we have a patch adding such a signal floating
about somewhere -- is the unreliableness the reason it wasn't
merged so far?

Here's another item for an extended TerminalInterface: It's
currently not possible to initiate the KPart with a profile
other than the default. Since changing the profile at run-
time doesn't run the "Command" specified in the new profile,
that's proven an annoying limitation to Yakuake users.

A method to initiate the terminal with a given profile would
be really useful, as well as a method to retrieve a list of
available profiles and the name of the profile currently
being used. This could then be used by Yakuake UI, e.g. in a
session (=tab) preset editor allowing to set up things like
split setup, profiles for the terminals to use, and tab name.

(The fact that setting a profile to use initially isn't po-
ssible is one of the reasons Yakuake doesn't have such an
editor yet -- along with the CWD and name-of-active-profile
things, since I want to be able to offer the ability to store
existing tabs as presets, so I need to be able to serialize
more of the KPart's state, as well as recreate it.)

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, hein at kde.org