[Konsole-devel] clipboard behaviour

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jun 28 19:33:39 UTC 2002

I have come to the conclusion that the current clipboard behaviour of konsole
is broken. It might be ok if you look at konsole in isolation but
desktop-wide it causes inconsistency which IMO outweighs any benefits.

So I would like to remove the "automatically copy to clipboard" feature and
add a "Copy" action instead.

Cheers,
Waldo

> > Yes, unfortunate we can't bind anything to ctrl-c/ctrl-v in konsole. We
> > get quite some bugreports about that actually. We also get quite a few
> > reports that ctrl-s causes konsole to freeze.
>
> could you not at the very least implement right click>copy/paste?

We have right click->paste.
We don't have richt click->copy because the idea was that if you select
something in konsole you most certainly will want to copy it to the
clipboard, so that is done automatically (so it gets copied to _both_
clipboards.) Since it is done automatically you don't need an explicit copy
function.
I'm wondering whether this has been a good decission though for several
reasons:
a) It makes assumptions about the user's intention
b) it breaks the clipboard model that ctrl-c copies to the clipboard and
selecting copies to the selection-clipboard.
c) users from a non-unix background search for "copy" and can't find it.
So this could very well contribute to the overall perception that "the
clipboard is broken", it's very hard to tell without detailed feedback from
people what annoys them about the current clipboard behaviour.

bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com