Mortgage balance report error

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 16:50:37 GMT 2024

  Hello Jack,

I found the amount or transaction causing the issue.....

A few days before closing the loan I created a transaction to INCREASE
the loan balance by 226.96 in order to reconcile with the bank
statement at loan closure.  This amount represents accrued interests.

Now why KMM shows this amount on the report instead of zero?  Thats
the question

Quoting Jack via KMyMoney <kmymoney at kde.org>:

> Hello Louis-Philippe,
>
> On 1/31/24 10:28, Louis-Philippe Allard via KMyMoney wrote:
>> Hello Maillist,
>>
>> I have a mortgage balances for all years which includes all
>> mortgage loans I had so far...
>>
>> Each loans are CLOSED (except the current one which I am paying off).
>>
>> The issue I see is that one of the mortgage loans has been closed
>> in 2022 with ZERO balance in ledger, however in the report I see an
>> outstanding balance of -$226.96 on this loan for 2022 and later...
>
> Yes, this is strange, since you should not be able to close an
> account unless it has a 0 balance.  Which version of the program are
> you using?  Was that amount the amount of each payment?  If so, then
> when searching (see below) I would look for a remaining scheduled
> transaction (although you should not have been able to close the
> account without also closing the schedule.)
>> There are no remaining schedules relating to this loan (I couldnt
>> close this loan anyways), and the ledger shows balanze of zero.
>
> Here you say you couldn't close the loan.  Is the schedule closed,
> or just complete?  (I don't know if it matters, but I'm looking for
> any possible reason.)
>> Where is this amount coming from? Why is the loan closed and ledger
>> shows zero but the report shows a negative outstanding balance?
>
> And here you say the loan is closed.  If you look at this loan
> account in the ledger, it correctly shows a zero balance?
>
> The first thing I would try is a transaction search, filtering only
> for this account.  Look through the transactions to see if they all
> look correct.  (Check the date range and for any which are not
> reconciled.)
>
> The next thing I would do is to actually look in the data file to
> see if the account is referenced somewhere unexpected.  Make a copy
> of the data file as a plain xml file.  (You can do a Save As... and
> explicitly use the .xml extension, or rename a .kmy file to .xml.gz
> and then gunzip it.)  Then, identify the ID of the problem account
> and search for it in the file.
>
> Start with these ideas, and I'll try to think of anything else to look for.
> Jack
  Louis-Philippe Allard
lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Sent using Horde Groupware on GNU/Linux