Incorrect payee assignments during csv import when a payee field ends in semicolon

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Feb 14 12:15:33 GMT 2024

On Dienstag, 13. Februar 2024 22:16:19 CET Jack via KMyMoney wrote:

> Can you provide a three or four line example csv file, with exactly
> what you expect to happen on import.
>
> > - all transactions before /"happy store ;"/ are imported correctly
> > - all transactions after /"happy store ;"/are assigned the payee
> > /"happy store ;"/

I hope only the ones that contain "happy store ;" as payee but not "abc"
or is that part of the problem?

> What payee do you expect "happy store ;" to match to?  You talk about
> the lines before and after, but not that one.
>
> > It seems that the terminal semicolon triggers a "$" entry to be added
> > to the list of matching names for the payee "happy store ;"
> > I'm assuming the "$" means "match all entries"
> Why do you think a terminal $ is getting added?  The matching uses
> regular expressions, and $ means the end of the line, it is not a wild
> card.
> I am also not aware that importing ever changes the matching entries in
> the Payee list, although I could be wrong here.

The terminal ';' is treated just like any other character as 'a', 'b' or 'c'.
The $ shows up - as Jack already pointed out - as "end of string" marker. That
entry might then also start with a caret '^' which identifies "start of string".
They are used to mark a an exact matching so that ^ABC$ matches "ABC" only and not
"ABCD" which would be a valid match if the $ was missing in the regular expression.

Such meta characters will be added by KMyMoney if you delete a payee (e.g. "ABC")
and assign existing transactions to another payee (e.g. "DEF"). In that case,
the receiving payee may add "^ABC$" as an entry in its list of matching names, so
that the next time the payee ABC is found in a transaction that transaction will
be assigned to payee DEF.

Computer science terms (#095): PGP-Keysigning-Party
 The cult of sitting together and collectively mumbling magic numbers.
 -- Gert Doering