kmymoney-5.1-479 appimage and later hang at tips window.

Harry G McGavran Jr w5pny at w5pny.com
Sun May 14 20:59:26 BST 2023

Jack wrote:

>I just tried again, and get the same output as you do, but after that
>the program appears.  When it hangs for you, what is happening?

After the console output from the spawning xterm window, I get no
further response, even for an hour or more...

>Specifically, if you run top or look at a performance monitor, is KMM
>using any resources?

No, no resources from KMM are apparent when this happens.

>  A bit more effort might be to launch KMM under
>gdb, and then interrupt it when it appears hung and generate a
>backtrace.

I did play with gdb, but I never got any symbol info when
running gdb in the exracted directory of the appimage.

I would get a number of "LWP" spawned threads a few of which
would later terminate on the own and others would spawn.

Interupting KMM and doing a "backtrace" yielded two stack frames
with no data references because of the lack of symbols.

That meant gdb didn't really give me clues.  At this point
I don't know how to get symbols from the appimage directory, there
probably are none.

> Another possibility is to use strace, but the output is
>likely to be voluminous, but hopefully it might show what it's
>getting
>stuck on or if it's waiting for something that is just not happening.>
>
>As Thomas said, there were no code changes between the version that
>worked for you and the latest version, so something else must have
>changed, although I can't think of anything that would cause this
>issue,
>as the appimage should be fully self-contained.   Can you think of
>anything that was upgraded since it last ran correctly for you?

I played with strace but its output was too voluminous!

I'm not familiar enough with the changes since 476 to know if there
might be something that would cause this.  I'd really like to get a
copy of 476 just to try it again.  It never occurred to me to keep the
old one until I was happy with the new one.  I know better than to do
this, but have never had problems with KMM before now, so I just got
sloppy about it.

    Harry