KMyMoney Reconciliation

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 19 22:35:49 GMT 2023

On 2023.03.19 14:48, Bob Gillaspy wrote:
> I recently mistakenly completed a reconciliation of one account.  I
> find
> that I need to reverse that action for the one account.  Is this
> possible?
> It seems I need to reload a complete, saved version of my data
> previous to
> this action in order to reverse the reconciliation.
> My suggestion is to build into KMyMoney a reconciliation redo for a
> given
> account.  This would only impact the single account and not the entire
> database.
> I am using version 5.
> Bob Gillaspy
I am replying to the list, as support questions should always be made
public and not in personal emails.

Next, hopefully you are on 5.1.3 and not anything older. although I
don't think it affects this issue.

Finally, you are correct that there is no way to undo a reconciliation,
without restoring from a backed up version of your data.  However, I'm
not sure why you find it necessary.  Although some of the transactions
might be mis-marked until your next reconciliation, that is really the
only effect.  Once you get to the the proper date for your next
reconciliation, the only thing to remember is that your starting
balance may not be match your statement, but that doesn't actually
affect the process.  As long as the ending balalnce in KMM matches the
statement, you should be OK.

Note that the version in git master branch supports "undo."  I don't
know for certain (I just have not tested) that it will undo a
reconciliation, but it probably should.  One reason it is not likely
that KMM will generally support reversing a reconciliation is that
there is no way for it to know which transactions it changed from
Cleared to Reconciled state, which would need to be reversed.

If I somehow missed why this is really so important, please provide
some additional information, such as some example dates and
transactions.

Reconciliation is really just a convenience for confirming (for a
single account) that your KMM balance matches the balance in on online
or paper statement for that account.  It lets you be sure you haven't
missed any transactions, and your transaction amount match the bank's.
The only data actually affected by the reconciliation process is that
the status of transactions prior to the reconciliation date are changed
from Cleared to Reconciled, the last reconciled date of the account is
updated, and the reconciliation history (a list of pairs of dates and
balances) gets the new values appended.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask more questions.