KMyMoney 5.1.2 conflict with Olympia

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Oct 27 11:04:17 BST 2022

Salut,

Answers/comments inline below

On Donnerstag, 27. Oktober 2022 11:07:58 CEST John Peters via KMyMoney wrote:

> Answers below. I'll be happy to examine further if necessary.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> John
>
> Le 26/10/2022 à 20:22, Jack via KMyMoney a écrit :
> > On 2022.10.26 12:46, John Peters via KMyMoney wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm a fan of KMyMoney that I've been using for years on Linux Ubuntu.
> >> I'm currently on Ubuntu 22.04 with KMyMoney 5.1.2
> >>
> >> Everything works fine.
> >>
> >> I recently tried an astrology programme called Olympia. Once I
> >> install Olympia, KMyMoney does not open. As soon as I uninstall
> >> Olympia KMyMoney reacts normally again.
> >>
> >> I have contacted the developers of Olympia and they have sent me a
> >> version with no external libs as they thought there was a conflict of
> >> modules. However, I still have the same problem.
> >>
> >> Do you have any suggestions as to why Olympia may prevent KMyMoney
> >> from opening and any possible solution?
> >>
> >> Might migrating to 5.1.3 make any difference?
> >>
> >> Many thanks for your help.
> >>
> >> John Peters
> >>
> > Can you give us a pointer to the source for Olympia?  I can't find
> > anything with a quick search except what looks like an expensive
> > Microsoft program.
> https://www.olympia-astrologie.com/
> >
> > Minor question - are you running Gnome or Plasma as your main
> > desktop?  It shouldn't really matter,
> Ubuntu 22.04 MATE
> >
> > When KMM fails to start, are there any error messages, or just a
> > silent failure?  Have you tried starting KMM from command line to see
> > if anything useful is reported to console?  You might also try "strace
> > kmymoney" and start by just looking at the last dozen lines or so.
> > The total output will be pretty large, so capturing to a file might be
> > wise, so you can examine it at your leisure. If you don't see anything
> > obvious, try grepping for fail or err.
>
> Starting from command line when Olympia is installed returns:
> "qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in ""
> This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be
> initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
>

> > Additional thoughts:  examine the list of files installed by Olympia.
> > (did you build from source or use the ubuntu package?) Not likely, but
> > see if it might have overwritten some other system (especially KDE)
> > library.
> Installed the .deb downloaded from Olympia Essai Linux using Gdebi
> (left click and it installs. I don't know where to look to find the
> associated files.

I took a look into that .deb file. They bring their own version of Qt which
is maybe modified, but I can't tell (see attached screen shot) and play with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use their version of Qt before they use the one installed
on the system.

This modification should only be local to the application and not affect the
whole system.

> > I don't think 5.1.3 will be any different, but you could try the
> > appimage version easily enough, just to check.
> > (https://kmymoney.org/appimage.html)

Yes, that won't make a difference, though AppImages bring their own version
of Qt as well, so it might help. But that would be just a workaround.

To investigate this further, it would be interesting what LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
set to when KMyMoney does not work. Also, the setting of QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH
is of interest, as the error message points to that part. Also, can you provide
us with the output of 'ldd kmymoney', svp?

Here's what is contained in Olympia.sh

---8<---
#!/bin/sh
BASE_DIR=$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$BASE_DIR"/../libOlympia/:"$BASE_DIR":$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QML_IMPORT_PATH="$BASE_DIR"/../qml/:$QML_IMPORT_PATH
export QML2_IMPORT_PATH="$BASE_DIR"/../qml/:$QML2_IMPORT_PATH
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH="$BASE_DIR"/../libOlympia/plugins/:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
export QTWEBENGINEPROCESS_PATH="$BASE_DIR"/bin/QtWebEngineProcess
export QTDIR="$BASE_DIR"
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH="$BASE_DIR"/../libOlympia/plugins/platforms:$QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH

"$BASE_DIR/Olympia" "$@"
---8<---

There's a fine line between a numerator and denominator.
Only a fraction of people will get the joke.