How to add a bond to my investment

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 5 23:43:54 BST 2022

On 2022.09.28 10:54, Franco Martelli via KMyMoney wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've recently bought a bond, an italian BTP, KMM asks me number of
> shares but in the bank accountant there isn't. In the bank accountant
> there is the dry price, the interest accruals and the equivalent
> value as well as expenses and taxes.
> The problem is that I haven't Shares, should I calculate it manually
> (equivalent value / dry price)? Or enter a single share of the
> equivalent amount?
> TIA
>
>--
> Franco Martelli
Hello Franco,

Unfortunately, KMM has not been designed specifically to handle bonds,
so you will need to do it in a way that makes sense to you.  I see two
very different possible approaches.
Within an investment account, I would enter a single share, and make
the initial value the amount you paid to purchase it.  When you sell
it, you can enter the price of the full value.  Depending on the terms
of that bond, you could even enter intermediate prices between the buy
and sell, if it makes any sense.
A totally different way would be to use a regular asset account (such
as savings) where you deposit the initial purchase price, then add the
increase in value as interest or dividend (at whatever point between
buy and sell makes sense to you) and then when you sell, just transfer
the total amount back to whtever account you actually put the fund in.

To me, the only essential point is that the account starts with the
initial purchase amount, and ends with the final redemption amount.  It
could also be important for you that the records of the account and
it's transactions will be useful to you in preparing your tax forms -
and that is clearly different in every country.