Consistency Check Problem and Opening Balances account.

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Jul 27 16:56:11 BST 2022

Michael,

starting a mail with a line containing "-- " caused some fun here: I pressed
reply to get your original text in and it never showed up. This is due to the
fact that said combination is used above a footer, so that e-mail programs
don't copy it into a reply. So your complete message was treated as footer
here.

But now on to your problem.

On Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2022 04:57:17 CEST Michael Calder via KMyMoney wrote:

> G'day KMM Gurus,
>
> I have been using KMyMoney since 2010 and am very happy with all it
> does. Thanks to the team!
>
> During the last week I upgraded my Linux Mint to Cinnamon 20.3 and
> reinstalled the latest version of KMyMoney - 5.0.8.

In fact, the latest version is 5.1.2 but it might not be available in
your distros repo for some reason. You could try to use the AppImage
version instead which you can find on https://kmymoney.org/appimage

> My File Information shows Created on - 2010-07-28 which is when I first
> started with KMM.
>
> I have a "Share Invest Jnt" Account with which I had a problem when I
> ran a Consistency Check shortly after the above change over "settled
> down" ;-). (see attached)
>
> By a bit of "creative accounting" - I edited the account Opening
> information Date to 1/1/99 (1999) and that corrected the 24 problems.
>
> BUT - This then introduced the 3 new problems shown at the bottom of the
> attachment.
>
> The Accounts list does not show an Opening Balances account although,
> when I go to the Unit 73 Account ledger, highlight the "opening balance"
> entry and then do Transaction -> Go To 'Opening Balances' I clearly go
> just there. (See attached PNG)
>
> I assume the 'fix' required is to edit the Opening Balances account
> Opening information Date to 1/1/99 as I did before, but it must be
> "internal" as View - Show All Accounts is checked.

The opening balances account belong to a fifth account group called
equity accounts. The are not shown even with the show all accounts
option turned on. There is a special option to make them visible (see
attached). Once that is ticked and acknowledged with OK, the equity
section becomes available in the accounts view and you can edit the
opening accounts balance as you do with other accounts.

> Is there a work around for to remove the Consistency Check "problem"
> message that I get every time I shut down.
>
> BTW - Please note my new email address of michaelcalder at iinet.net.au;
> the old "
>
> Cheers, Mike.

Hope that helps.

With every day I come closer to the grave and learn something new.
It all happens because I have wandered around too much and stumbled into
the Linux world - which is a fantastic place to be! (Algis Kabaila)