how to categorize transactions quickly

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Aug 25 08:06:15 BST 2022

On Donnerstag, 25. August 2022 00:53:23 CEST Jack via KMyMoney wrote:

> On 2022.08.24 18:32, Anil F Duggirala via KMyMoney wrote:
> > hello,
> > I am a new user of KMyMoney.
> > Most transactions I have I am importing from csv.
> > I am wondering how I can assign categories to these transactions
> > quickly?
> > Previously, when using ledger-cli, I used to have a command line
> > script that
> > would quickly allow me to go through transactions and assign a
> > corresponding
> > account also providing auto-completion.
> > How do you assign categories quickly in KMM?
> > Is there a way to quickly (using the keyboard maybe) one can run
> > through
> > transactions assigning categories?
> >
> > thank you,
> I don't know of any quick way within the program itself.  However,
> there are two things you can think about which might help in the future.
>
> First, since you import from csv, could you include the category as a
> column in the csv file?
>
> Second, are you aware you can set a default category for each payee?
> Once you do that, any new transaction for that payee will default to
> that category.

Another method in the 5.1.x versions would be to select those transactions
that should receive the same category (Use Ctrl/Shift in combination with
the left mouse to do so), start editing and only change the category. Leave
the other fields untouched and press OK. VoilĂ .

Hint: this feature is still missing in master as of this writing.

data is not the new oil. data is the new plutonium. -- svuorela at Akademy 2021