KMyMoney and Finance::Quote

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 4 20:42:39 BST 2022

On 8/4/22 15:02, Andre Joost via KMyMoney wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I use KMyMoney for years now on Windows and Linux, and I am used to
> update my fund prices with Finance::Quote. Recently, Union Investment
> has dropped the CSV file from which the fund prices were extracted in
> the FQ module Union.pm.
>
> As an alternative, they offer a CSV file with historic prices on their
> website. So I have tried to rewrite the perl module to get my prices
> back:
>
> <https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote/issues/226>
>
> <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Andre-J/finance-quote/master/lib/Finance/Quote/Union.pm>
>

> To use it, one has to change the symbol from WKN (which was used before)
> to ISIN. The renewed module works in GnuCash, but not inside KMyMoney:
> "No price or no date".
> I found a calling module financequote.pl inside the KMM tree, which
> works for me on the command line, but not inside KMM:
>
> perl financequote.pl unionfunds DE0008491002
>
>         finding price for <DE0008491002> from <unionfunds>
> "DE0008491002","2022-008-003","51.76"
>
> Can anyone with insight of the KMM code around FQ tell me what goes
> wrong?
>
> I tested with KMM 4.84 and 5.12 on Windows, and 5.08 on Linux Mint. So
> it is not an OS issue.

I haven't used F::Q since I moved to the latest incarnation of the Yahoo
source, which has been working well for me for at least several months,
so I don't remember how all the pieces fit together.  I do have several
questions.

Have you tried with/without stripping the html tags. (I have no idea how
that would work with a csv file, but it is not clear to me whether the
request downloads a real csv file, or displays one in a web page.

Are you certain that you are testing against the same file the KMM
retrieves?  I know there was a way to get the exact URL used, so you can
be sure you are testing the same data.

Aside from changing the means of getting the csv file, has the format of
that file changed any?  Specifically, have they perhaps changed the
order of columns?

Minor point, I would strongly avoid using any version 4 of KMM, it's
older than ancient, and totally unsupported.  5.0.8 is also very old,
although I don't think that has anything to do with your main problem.