Closed brokerage accounts still being used

timothyp egroegboyle at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 08:22:25 BST 2022

On 2022/04/06 16:12, Jack via KMyMoney wrote:
> On 4/6/22 04:09, timothyp via KMyMoney wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have closed all individual brokerage accounts and created one
>> General Brokerage
>> account for all share transactions. Since these transactions are
>> transparent to me.
>> I give my Investment Company instructions to buy, sell or switch
>> shares and tell them
>> what account (normally my cheque account) to withdraw or deposit
>> monies into.
>>
>> However when I download the statements from the investment company, KMM
>> automatically uses the brokerage account for that share account.
>>
>> This is to me strange since the brokerage accounts are closed and and
>> manual
>> transactions are not possible. Indeed to rectify the situation I have
>> to reopen the
>> brokerage account , move the transaction to the general brokerage
>> account and close
>> the account again.
>>
>> Is there some way I can nominate a brokerage/cheque account for money
>> transactions,
>> either by a QIF option or a KMM setting?  I really do not want those
>> extra 12 brokerage
>> accounts, so if someone has a similar situation and there is already
>> a solution that I am
>> missing, I would appreciate your assistance.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Timothy
>
> Unfortunately, this is not currently possible.  KMM only recognizes a
> brokerage account with the same name as the investment account with "
> (Brokerage)" appended.  There is an open wishlist for KMM to remember
> any specified account for that purpose.  Unfortunately, certain
> actions (such as QIF or OFX import) will put transactions into a
> closed account (not just brokerage account, but also specific stock
> account, such as for dividends).  I'm not sure what will happen if
> those brokerage accounts don't exist at import time - hopefully it
> will ask what account to use..  The downloads do not specify the
> brokerage account - most investment firms consider the stocks and cash
> to be in the same account.  If you can't simply delete those accounts,
> try renaming them so KMM won't automatically recognize them as the
> appropriate brokerage account.
>
> Jack

The delete option on the brokerage account is greyed out, so I renamed
it as you suggested. The QIF import buy goes ahead without any warning
or asking for an account to get the money from. The ledger then shows
the transaction with correct share quantity, price and updated share
balance. However the value of the transaction is shown as zero. No new
brokerage or dummy account is created and the money for the shares is
not deducted as obviously no reference account is provided. So
unfortunately this is not a feasible work-around. I would certainly like
to add my name to that wishlist to either block a closed account
completely and ask for an alternative account and similarly if the
brokerage account does not exist do the same. When one creates a new
investment account there is an option to create a brokerage account as
well. So this makes it possible for errors to occur from get-go. Could
this qualify as a bug perhaps?

Timothy