Debits and Credits ... and Ledgers

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Jan 19 20:46:06 GMT 2021

On Dienstag, 19. Januar 2021 20:49:31 CET Jack wrote:

> Really just a matter of terminology, and column titles change depending
> on type of account. (payment/deposit, charge/payment,
> decrease/increase, ...)  I'm not certain, but I suspect the OP is
> requesting a flip of the order of those two columns in the ledger for
> at least some types of accounts.

We can certainly flip the columns in the new ledger in master. This would also
require to flip the edit fields of the transaction editor as they are in the
same order as the ledger. If there is consent to do that, we can follow the
outline provided in https://www.fool.com/the-blueprint/debit-vs-credit/ as
suggested by Jesus. For the record: the original order was copied from MS-Money :)

As for the name: please search the archive for this kind of discussion. We've
been through it a few times in the last 20 years but either the name we liked
was already used by another (FLOSS) application or was not adequate in certain
languages/locales. The outcome was always the same: stick with KMyMoney - so we do!

I would love to get some more feedback on the order of the payment/deposit column.
Should we change it to get close to accountant's habits? Or should we leave it the
way it is?

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men
trying to find easier ways to do something. -- Robert Heinlein