Debits and Credits ... and Ledgers

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 19 17:52:12 GMT 2021

On 2021.01.18 17:41, None None wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I was wondering what the community's thoughts are on this:
>
> I noticed that the ledgers in KMyMoney(Please can we just call it
> MyMoney or My-Money? :) ), show the Debits and Credits opposite of
> where I would expect them(from my limited accounting experience).
> Meaning opposite of what is usually the custom in the USA.
The K is for KDE, as KMyMoney is a member of the KDE family, so the K
will not be dropped.

> Debit vs. Credit: An Accounting Reference Guide (+Examples)
First, I just want to confirm that you are only talking about the
display order of the columns, and not questioning whether we use the
correct terms.

> |  |  |

> |  |
> Debit vs. Credit: An Accounting Reference Guide (+Examples)
>
> Mary Girsch-Bock
>
> Understand the difference between debits vs. credits with this guide
> from The Blueprint, which also provides mul...

> Is KMyMoney set up this way because it is customary in another place?
>
> What if KMY allowed users to select in what orders they would see the
> Debit/Credit accounts in the ledger?
>
> What do you guys think?
I think the column order is essentially arbitrary, but the tools used
to create the current ledger do not allow easy reordering of columns.
One of the developers will have to weigh in on whether the new ledger
(still under developmen) might allow user re-ordering of the columns.