matching transactions

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 28 17:38:52 GMT 2020

On 2020.02.28 03:29, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2020 22:16:51 CET Jack wrote:
> > On 2020.02.27 14:54, Michael Hirmke wrote:
>>> as the manual states, "The values of both transactions must be the
>>> same for the match to work" when manually matching transactions.
>>> The same seems to be the case when kmymoney tries to match
>>> automatically. So there is no way to match scheduled transactions
>>> with transactions from my bank where the amount differs every time
>>> like my loan? If so what is the preferred way? Deleting the
>>> scheduled transaction after the record has been received from the
>>> bank?
> > >
>> I have my scheduled transactions set to not enter automatically, and
>> I generally adjust the amount for the current value when I do enter
>> it, so it does match.  You can also change the amount after both
>> transactions are entered/downloaded and then match them manually.
>> However, I don't think the end result would be much different from
>> deleting the scheduled transaction once the bank transaction has
>> been imported.
>
> It might make a difference when the scheduled transaction contains
> splits (assignments to multiple categories).
>
> KMyMoney should be able to cope with varying amounts during the match
> operation. I know that my phone bill has varying amounts and it
> matches perfectly well every month. One requirement for that to work
> is that you mark the option "Amount is an estimate because it varies
> for each payment" for the schedule.
I've actually always wondered what the practical effect of this option
was for, since if you manually add the transaction, you have to make
the change in amount yourself.

> The trick might be to not enter the scheduled transaction (manually
> or automatically) but let the import do it (not sure if that is
> documented). In case no match was found in the ledger of the account
> during the imported, KMyMoney searches for (over-) due schedules and
> if one of them matches it enters it directly while performing the
> match.
So my new understanding is that if this option is checked, and the
import finds the (over)due  scheduled transaction, it will add the
transaction and match it to the amount of the imported transaction.  If
you manually add the scheduled transaction prior to the import, it will
fail to match because the amounts are different.  If that is the case,
then I can certainly improve the description in the handbook.