More pdf2kmymoney

pjfarley3 at earthlink.net pjfarley3 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 31 01:59:35 GMT 2020

Aaron,

In my experience pdftotext does not “overflow lines”.  That is probably “extra information” (i.e., “Memo” field data) related to the transaction on the previous line.  That is quite common in bank statements.  You have to expect such lines and be prepared to attach them  to the prior transaction.   I do it as the “Memo” field in my output.

And no, there is no “automatic” way to turn it into a csv file.  Every bank’s statements are unique to that bank, so there is no “common format” for a software company or enterprising independent programmer looking for work to use as the model of how to do it.  *You* have to write the code to do that for *your* particular bank’s statement format, using the text scripting language of your choice.  As I said previously, I used gawk and then miller languages for my needs.  Some would recommend the use of the perl language, which I never got around to learning but which certainly has a lot going for it.

You could also think about paying a programmer currently out of work to write this stuff for you, but in order to test the new software they would write for you properly, you would have to trust them with copies of your highly personal financial information to make that work.

Converting a bank’s PDF statement to CSV data for KMM (or any other money management software) is NOT something that the “low tech user” can do by themselves.  You need to be (or hire) a programmer with a fair amount of experience to accomplish this task.  “Just out of school” programmers won’t get the job done right, or even necessarily at all.  It is definitely NOT a trivial task.

Peter