pdf to kmymoney

pjfarley3 at earthlink.net pjfarley3 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 28 15:14:23 GMT 2020

I had the same issue.  My bank statements are also PDF and my bank provides no online access from KMM or any checking program other than Quicken, so I download the PDF from my bank website and use pdftotext (yes, there is a Windows version) to extract the statement to a text file that can then be processed by any text-processing language of your choice.  My original bank statement text processing code was written (by me) in gawk, then later I switched to an awk derivative called miller.

For my bank’s PDF’s I found this to be the most effective way to extract the text, which (for the most part) preserves columns and headings from the PDF version.  The key is the “-layout” and “-enc UTF-8” options:

C:\MyBankFolder>  pdftotext -eol dos -cfg sample-xpdfrc -layout -nopgbrk -enc UTF-8 Bank-statement.PDF bank-statement.txt

Writing text-processing code to strip out only the transactions from the text file is something you have to write yourself.

The pdftotext executable download for Windows can be found here:

https://www.xpdfreader.com/download.html

Select the “Windows 32/64-bit” download under “Download the Xpdf command line tools:”.

If you are interested, a very good Windows gawk can be found here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/

The miller language executable is available here:

https://github.com/johnkerl/miller

HTH

Peter