mapping accounts

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 16 23:57:48 GMT 2020

Intuit is a big bully in this world.  In many cases, they have a
special deal with the bank to be able to pull your info using their
proprietary methods.  If you use their product, you then get your data
from Intuit, not directly from the bank.  Intuit is big enough to have
serious clout with the banks.  That's often why banks say they only
support Quicken, even though their underlying software really supports
the OFX standard.  They bought the software, and they really have no
idea how it works.  If you say you are using something else (especially
open source) they just say it's not supported.

One thing you MIGHT do, is to run something like wireshark to capture
the packets between your PC and Intuit when you map an account and then
when you download transactions.  Unless they are using encryption to
hide your data even from you, you might be able to see if it's OFX or
not.  If it IS, you might even be able to find out those bits of data
you need to map.

By they way - that mapping action just does an OFX request to the bank
(so you need that info to start) and it sends a request to report all
available accounts for the name/password provided.  Yes, that's a bit
oversimplified, but that's the core of it.  If you are using libofx
(the KMM built in OFX) then there is a security setting somewhere in
the Configure/KMyMoney to turn on ofx logging.  On Linux, it puts a
file ofxlog.txt in your home directory, with the full transaction.
Note that also includes plain text passwords, so treat it with care,
but it sometimes has a more detailed error message than gets surfaced
to some pop-up.