Date format trouble (locale)

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 10 21:02:04 BST 2020

On 2020.08.10 15:18, Koos Pol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm stuck with dates. For my KDE desktop I'm using my proper locale
> (nl_NL) with a short date (DD-MM-YY).
> With this format I can't enter dates 1990 and earlier. KMyMoney wil
> take
> that as 2090.
> I've looked at other locales having YYYY-MM-DD. But obviously that
> gives
> a host of other issues.
>
> Unfortunately KDE doesn't provide a personalized date setting. So I'm
> stuck with what I get.
>
> What would be the next course of action?
>
>  1. Is there a work around available? E.g. start KMM from the command
>     line with specific locale settings?
>  2. Raise a feature request on KMM to provide date formats independent
>     of KDE? Which would not be unreasonable. There is a fair case to
>     have your financial dates not be bothered with your environment.
>  3. Raise a "change request" on KMM to re-assess date interpretation.
>  4. Raise a feature request on KDE to provide personalized date
> formats?
>
> I'm hoping for (1), but leaning towards (4). Opinions welcome!
It's worth opening a wishlist bug, just so this isn't forgotten in case
this thread doesn't lead to a definitive action.  You can list several
possible actions there, so it doesn't limit you to only one choice.

Have you looked at the KDE SystemSettings tool - under
Personalization/Regional Settings/Formats, if you check Detailed
Settings, you can then hunt through all the possible locales just for
the Time setting.  You might be ablet o find one with a long format
similar enough to nl_NL, but a short format with four digit year.

Another possibility is to create a new locale, which you copy from
nl_NL and then modify the short format time setting.  I think I tried
this once (for a similar reason, if I remember) and although I don't
think I actually succeeded, it might be worth a new attempt.  It might
be possible to combine these two - create a new locale with your
desired short date format, and then just use that single format as a
change to the rest of nl_NL.