Fwd: Problems with upgrading my data

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 21 22:49:52 UTC 2018

This got stuck in my spam folder, but I don't recall seeing any
replies, so I'll put in a few suggestions.  [I've trimmed out stuff I'm
not replying to]

On 2018.03.10 16:04, Dave B(Y) wrote:
> So my situation is now (as far as I can tell) still the same as
> below.  I seem to have been able to export a csv and a text file from
> the Raiffeisenbank; I have been able to read the .txt into
> Libreoffice Writer & was able to see & modify the tabs etc, and to
> delete any columns I believe I did not want.....
If the file is supposed to be comma separated data, then don't use
Writer.  Either just use a plain text editor (emacs, vim, ...) or LO
Calc.  The latter will show the data as a spreadsheet, so it's easier
to see what lines up in what column.  If you do use Calc, you also have
to be sure to save as text, not as a calc file, and to be sure to use
comma to separate columns, and quotes to identify text values.  After
you save, look at it with a text editor or just list it, to see that it
looks correct.

> I have then tried just about everything I can think of to be able to :
>       convert the text to a spreadsheet (doesn't seem to work);
Don't just say "doesn't work."   We'll be glad to try to help, but we
need to know what IS happening, not what is NOT happening.  Anyway, you
DON'T want a spreadsheet - I'm not certain if you already understand
that or not.  For importing, you want a csv (comma separated values)
file (unless you can actually get OFX (or the equivalent QFX) or
possibly QIF format.  CSV is a plain text file - just using commas to
separate the columns (so you were correct to convert the tabs to
commas).  You also have to be sure there are no commas within any
column, unless the value is surrounded with quotes, so the comma is not
taken as a column separator.  This should be taken care of if you save
from Calc with the proper settings.

>       redefine an import profile to reflect the fields I am using
> (also does not appear to work) and I cannot consistently find the
> profile definition.
I don't understand - if you get the import far enough to try to use a
profile to define the fields/columns, then does that mean you do have a
good csv file?  While using an existing profile can certainly save you
time if you import the same format over time, it shouldn't be too hard
to just go through the process for matching the fields and columns.

> I tried to import a file, using (I thought) the same account name,
> and found myself with only an empty DB file - although it went
> through the process, I had no information anywhere.
Again, I don't understand.  If you went all the way through the import
process (with a csv file?) with no error messages, then the data should
have been imported to some account.  When you say empty DB file, do you
really mean empty?  No accounts, no categories, ...?  Save the file (am
I correct to assume your DB file is a .kmy file?) then do the import,
and save again as a different name.  Compare the two files.  Unless
they are really the same, then the import did something - you just need
to figure out where it put your data.

> I found my last year's file & was (thankfully!) able to open my file
> again.
>

> Can anyone please help me sort out which app(s) I actually have
> loaded & how to use it correctly, & how to get the .csv/.txt from
> Raiffeisenbank to import correctly????
What do you mean by what apps you have loaded?   While KMyMoney 5.0.1
has now been released, it will likely take a little time for
distributions to package the new release, and it also sounds like your
problems are not due to any bug in the system, but just being able to
assure your data is in a good format to import.

> Many thanks to all for your help!  (& I promise to put my next reply
> at the end!!)
Thanks, and we'll eventually figure it out and get you back on track.
It is certainly true that some financial institutions do not make it
easy for their customers.