[Kmymoney-devel] Two instances at once, was: Debugging plugins

Chris DeveloperChris at rebel.com.au
Mon Mar 31 07:59:15 UTC 2014

Hi Jack

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect most developers work in a VM, under windows that means a slow
machine and the cost of a license. So I wont be doing that. I could just
develop in a kde linux platform but as I want to make specific changes to
suit Aussie small businesses who mostly work on windows machines, that is
not practical. I'd have to badger the developers to push in changes they may
not consider appropriate for their vision of kmymoney. And then get Cristian
to run his win build tool over it. Which I am sure he won't be happy with. I
am not looking to take over kmm on windows but am seeking to fill a niche need.

In the meantime I'll develop on my main box using the symlink solution and
run kmymoney for my own book keeping inside a linux VM. Which is the way I
have done it for years. Its not really a great solution but it is a solution.

As for fixing the plugins the problems I am having seem to be either my
setup or windows specific. If it is windows specific then someone needs to
debug it on windows. It wouldnt surprise me if its specific to my machine.
Getting to understand the system enough to get a sane build environment has
meant many iterations of different builds and something may be (seriously)
messed up.

I haven't seen frameworks. so I will look into that if its more cross
platform than KDE is at the moment, then it could be a good thing. If not
another reason for me to branch and then maybe fork.

To be honest if it wasn't for the fact KMyMoney was so good I would have
given up and gone down the gnucash path.

Chris