[Kmymoney-devel] two new OFX investment import oddities

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 29 21:03:12 UTC 2014

I'm continuing to try to update my Merrill Lynch investment accounts
with ofx direct connect, and I just noticed two more strange things.

First, an imported buy shares transaction does not include a brokerage
account.  This is not a surprise, since it is probably not explicitly
included in the OFX transaction.  The imported transaction is thus
highlighted and shows the error triangle.  If I click "Accept" the
highlighting goes away, but nothing else happens.  However, if I "Edit"
the transaction (with or without accepting it first) the brokerage
account associated with the investment account is filled in.  [As far
as I can tell, this ONLY happens if the name of the brokerage account
is exactly the same name as the investment account, but with "
(Brokerage)" appended.  Is there any reason it doesn't use the
associated account no matter what the name?]  So far, so good.
However, "Enter" is still grayed out.  Only if I manually change the
status from not marked to cleared can I "Enter" the transaction.  So -
just by editing the transaction, it will fill in the default brokerage
account - but it does not do this as part of importing the
transaction.  Is this by design, or just an oversight, and should I
open an enhancement request to change the behavior?

Second, while deleting some unused Payees, I noticed that all the buy,
sell, and dividend transactions that had been imported from OFX had
created payees such as "Purchase: AFLAC INC            COM PRICE SHOWN
IS AVERAGE PRICE."  For the ones starting with "Dividend: ..." no
transactions are shown in the transaction list on the payee view, but
trying to delete it throws an error that it is still referenced in a
transaction.  For the Purchase and Sale payees, they do list the
relevant transactions, but displaying any of those transactions in the
investment account ledger does not show a payee field.  I am assuming
that the payee is created as a side effect of the OFX import, even
though Payee is not a field normally used in investment transactions.
Again - should I open a bug for this, or is it expected behavior?