[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Alkimia

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sat Mar 5 00:09:48 CET 2011

Hi Alvaro,

thanks at first for your immediate response!

> first of all, Alkimia is not going to be the be-all and do-all behind
> KMyMoney. It is not going to hold the data of KMyMoney, rather it is
> going to hold the data you share with other applications.
Ok.

> Alkimia is a data sharing framework, not a data storage, as it's the
> case with Akonadi, where you have a central storage, and application
> display and access the data in it.
Hmm, well. The text on alkimia's wiki is misleading then:
<cite>
Definition
Alkimia is the infrastructure for *common storage* ...
</cite>
So, this doesn't mean that all data is right away accessible, I see.

> Well, first of all, it will work as a user DBus service, not a
> web-based service. Only the local user will be able to access it.
Ahh, ok, that's what I wasn't aware of. I thought DBus will distribute the data also to other users…

> Second, further mechanisms will be put in place as needed, when
> sensible financial info may be going through Alkimia. This could
> include encrypting the storage, only enabling services when signed
> with GPG key, etc.
I see.

> Most important of all, Alkimia will run as a local DBus service. At
> least, that's the vision now.
See above.
And, I am not familiar with DBus or anything. Was just acting paranoid. :-)

> And of course, everyone who is willing to make it happen, is more than
> welcome. So far, it's only me and Thomas working on different parts of
> Alkimia, and the progress is very slow.
OK, I see.

Well, MacPorts already ships kmymoney4-devel with libalkimia as a necessary dependency.

Thanks again.
Have a nice weekend,
Marko