Akademy Kirigami on kf6 bof notes

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 20:05:52 BST 2021

Kirigami in KF6

* GlobalDrawer: Not very flexible or customizable.
    * needs a sections api
    * customizable delegate
* Integrating with QAction now that it’s in QtGui?
    * Needs https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-92195(https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-92195)
to be resolved first.
    * Do we try an upstream patch for it? yes!
    * https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qmetatype.html#registerConverter
    * It’s also possible to override a property but not the best idea
* Can we have symbols of base qml types to use from c++
    * qqc2: expose some templates, at least Control?
    * expose Layouts, at least the Layout attached property
    * collect use cases, then create a bug on tracker
* Proposal: splitting it in more QML modules, but keep them in the
same repo where possible in qt6 is possible if you do just import
org.kde.kirigami it would automatically import all subfolders
    * Basic Controls
    * Application navigation, page routing etc
    * itemviews/delegates
* SwipeListItem requires a specific id to be assigned, this is a
serious problem.
* DelegateRecycler: deprecate now, kill for kf6
* Generally, go through everything and have a look at which properties
can now be updated to use QtQuick types.
* Catch-all listitems are kindof a problem, especially for performance
reasons, BasicListItem can’t have any property
    * BasicListItem and possibly other controls: kill the custom icon: property
    * we should have layouts contents for listitems instead, not
delegates themself, in a kirigami submodule
* Units.qml and Theme.qml: how do we definitely get rid of those?
(units.cpp merge asap in kf5)
    * With the changes to PlatformTheme that were done recently, the
API for Theme.qml has changed to subclass a specific QML type rather
than using QtObject with custom properties. This makes the Theme.qml
API a lot cleaner since what you can set is documented, additionally
the C++ side needs to jump through a lot less hoops. This may be
enough to keep supporting Theme.qml.
* Export in libkirigami c++ some scenegraph primitives: it already
copies stuff from kdeclarative, which can be dropped from kdeclarative
and use the public one from kirigami should already be doable in kf5
    * With Qt6 ShaderTools it may need some additional thought when
dealing with the SDF “library” and how to make sure that is properly
exported.
* redo a bit actions grouped property “main,left,right use a display hint”)
* perhaps having the auto toolbar as something assigned to page header:
* real bottom toolbar for mobile