Roadmapping

Halla Rempt halla at valdyas.org
Wed Nov 8 10:13:05 GMT 2023

Krita's Roadmap

While we often think we don't have a roadmap at all, we did sit down some time ago to decide on something suspiciously like a roadmap. I think we need to do another telesprint to update that, but in preparation for such a meeting, I'm mailing out the results of our earlier planning.

See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GPcclrQbxZN7iDeSP6Zo3CckEN8rrotwYozjmjktmX8 for the original document.

First I'll list all things that people assigned themselves to:

==== Optimizations (Dmitry) ====

This has been an ongoing effort, but something like GPU implementation of brushes has not been touched yet.

==== Text (Wolthera) ====

Wolthera was going to work on text, and has made huge progress in that area. While still ongoing, this part of the roadmap we really made good on.

==== Flexible Comic Book Frames (Tiar) ====

This wasn't started yet.

==== Welcome Page (Sharaf) ====

After initial work in QML that was hindered by the lack of stability of the Kirigami platform, we created a quick and dirty QWidgets solution that nonetheless looks much better than what we had. Qualified success.

==== Project Management (sharaf) ====

Some work in Kirigami was done.

==== Tracing over 3D Models/Blender Integration ====

No action, but there's now a 3rdparty plugin that does some of these.

==== Port Dock Implementation (nobody) ====

Waiting on the integration of QML in Krita

==== Clipping Masks (nobody) ====

No action, though Wolthera has an open MR with support for PSD text, shapes and guides.

==== Tool Presets (nobody) ====

Was decided to start after the lager port of the brush presets was finished.

==== Brush Editor and Brush Presets (dmitry) ====

Finished succesfully!

==== Memory Management (Dmitry) ====

I don't think we made progress on this?

==== Animation Audio Overhaul (Emmet/Eoin) ====

This was finished succesfully.

==== Refactor Assistants (Tiar) ====

There is an unfinished merge request, but Tiar isn't active at the moment, so we should discuss that one at the meeting and see what we can do.

==== JPEG-XL (Amyspark) ====

To a large extent, done.

==== Color Selectors (Lynx3D) ====

This got merged.

All in all, I think we can be proud of what we _have_ achieved. Our ambitions are always bigger than is realistically achievable, but that's not bad!

There are still a number of unfinished/unstarted things on the projects list that would still be good to do (and in that sense, are still on our roadmap...)

* Layer Styles Blending Optimizations
* Layer Stack Affordances
* Add Benchmarks to the UI
* Support Angle in MacOS/Qt6
* Improve the Storyboard Docker (or did this get done...)
* Miscellaneous Animation improvements
* Collaborative Editing
* Port to an alternative docker system
* Small-screen friendly mobile UI