Proposing to reword "mirror" to "flip" except when referring to the mirror tool

Alvin Wong alvin at alvinhc.com
Thu Nov 2 13:17:07 GMT 2023

Hi all,

Currently we refer to the actions for flipping layers / objects / the
image / the view as "mirror". This can be confusing considering we also
have the mirror tools which actually mirror brush strokes like a mirror.

I propose we reword these actions to use the word "flip" to remove this
ambiguity. I did some quick searches and it seems many graphics
applications (including GIMP, PS, CSP, Inkscape, Paint .NET) also use
"flip" to describe these actions, so this also appears to be the more
common terminology.

There is a catch though, the "Mirror View" action has the default hotkey
"M", if we rename it to "Flip View" then this hotkey becomes detached
from the name of the action (although this is already the case in some
languages). I am not sure how acceptable this is.

What do you think about this?

Cheers,
Alvin