Moving to gitlab, which features to use.

Wolthera griffinvalley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 16:20:55 BST 2019

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 3:42 PM L. E. Segovia <lsg at amyspark.me> wrote:

> Hey all, hey Wolthera,
>
> I'm glad to hear we're moving out of Phabricator. Having said this, as a
> GitHub user, I'm more used to the merge request approach. Ideas:
>
> * We'd need to document how to fork/clone, download the repo, change
> branch, etc. (University experience tells me this is not straightforward
> for beginners.)

Yes, we'll need to wait till the migration is complete to see how this
will work in the end.

> * Not workflow-related, but some serious CI integration would be helpful
> to let them know if their patch is acceptable.

Ben says sysadmin intends to use gitlab's ci instead of jenkins ci(but
nightlies will still be done on jenkins) but they haven't finalized
the plans yet.

> * Merge-by-email seems a far lower entry barrier than the proposed
> merge-request workflow, and also more similar to the current Phabricator
> approach. I think we could expand a bit on the Git-email docs from
> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Appendix-C%3A-Git-Commands-Email .

Ooh, thanks!

> Another question-- can we keep using tasks? I found them particularly
> useful to review ideas without involving code.

Yes, we will keep using tasks/issues. There's just too much pre-coding
design going on in Krita to not have them :)

--
Wolthera