Krita 3.0 release plan and git branching

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 27 10:00:37 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> According to our initial schedule we should release Krita 3.0 Beta next week. It might be delayed a bit, but the questions still actual anyway:

Quite a bit, actually :-)

> 1) What is the status of master now? Feature freeze, string freeze?

Still under heavy development, so I would not call for a freeze right now.

> 2) Should we develop features in separate branches or in master?

That, yes. In real feature branches, please, not in a generic "testing" branch. Like rempt-T125-brushtip-editor, i.e., author, task, topic.

> 3) Should we branch-out 3.0 branch and unlock master?

Not yet, there is so much broken that that just means commiting fixes in two places.

> Quite a lot of refactorings/feature-development-works are planned at the moment:
> 1) Kickstarter features by Dmitry

And me... And the spriter plugin.

> 2) Library split by Boud

The move is done, I still want to rename krita/krita to krita/apps, but we can start thinking of splitting up libraries.

> 3) MacOS fixes/refactorings by Boud, Julian and Beelzy

Mostly opengl, and it's not just for OSX, but also for Windows.

4) Port to Vc 1.0
5) Not sure -- there's a bunch of tasks in phabricator, some of them should be planned for 3.0, but I need to triage them.

> How should we work with them? In separate branches or in master? As far as I can tell at least the Kickstarter features should be not in master, because they create new strings. How
> should we plan that?

Separate branch, but merged to master when ready. For 3.x, I think we'll be having feature releases every month, just like we had with 2.9 for a period. We need to get the kickstarter features in the hands of users as quickly as possible.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org