Krita 3.0.1 Release Process

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 13:43:44 UTC 2016

Hi, all!

It seems like our current release process got failed again. The translators
were not notified that the merge window got closed and they can start doing
translations. What is more, noone even started merging 'stable'
translations into 'trunk', which means they cannot even start translations,
because 'stable' still points to 'krita/3.0' which is abandoned.

And the problem is not in the translators, but in the fact that *we* have
no exact step-by-step release plan. Noone is in charge of the tasks, which
we agreed to follow during the release process [1]. We still have no way to
control which tasks has been completed and which not. And Phabricator will
not help us in this field. It doesn't have any Deadline capabilities:
neither setting the date, nor automated email notifications about them.

During the 3.0 release cycle I proposed using Asana for the release
management, which kind of worked. Everybody could see what and when he/she
should do. But people were not satisfied with it for two reasons:

1) It doesn't allow making the project public (visible to all).
2) The number of people who can access it is limited to 15.

I am agree with both points.

Today I did some kind of research about the alternatives to Asana. And it
seems like getting back to Trello (for release management only) is the best
option for us. It has almost all the capabilities we need, and we can get
them within the free plan:

1) The Trello boards can be made public and visible to everyone.
2) The number of members of the project is unlimited
3) The tasks can have deadlines
4) The owner/member of the task will get an automated email-notification
when the task's due date has come
5) One can use a Trello board as a template for next releases. There is
almost no extra time spent on release management.

The only feature that I couldn't find in Trello is sending automated emails
in the mailing list. But that can be easily done manually. I can even take
this task: as long as the task is automatically scheduled and has the mail
template, copy-pasting it doesn't take any time.

One more benefit of Trello is that it looks like Phabricator's boards, so
if Phabricator will implement this feature one day, it will be quite easy
to port the process to Phabricator.

So, in the end, I created a Trello board for releasing Krita 3.0.1:

https://trello.com/b/qwJfZRdf

Please login into it, search for the tasks you would like to/have to do
during the release and assign them to yourself!

Short manual on Trello cards:

1) If you are the only Member of the task and you think all the points of
the checklist are completed, just Archive it.
2) If you are not the only member of the card, complete the points of the
checklist you can complete and ping other people to complete the rest.
3) If you are not the only member of the card, and you are finishing the
last point in the checklist, Archive the card.

I hope this time the process will go right and together we will make a
perfect release in the end!

[1] -
https://community.kde.org/Krita/Release/Checklist_Krita_Release_Checklist

--