Thinking of writing a perspective tool for krita

Wolthera griffinvalley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:59:42 UTC 2015

I see.

The reason the vanishing point assistant was set up the way it was is
because of the way I understand perspective: All parallel lines share a
single vanishing point, and making the horizon is actually a lot easier
than you'd think: Just turn on snapping and draw a line from one vanishing
point to the other. (Though shift+snapping is on my todo list for the
parallel lines :) )

As far as I know I wasn't eyeballing the distances: You can check these by
drawing diagonals, and maybe I haven't drawn enough diagonals in the video
itself. It was my third take or something, but I did take into account the
diagonals.

But, in regards to that link: let me make your life a whole lot more easy:
A perfect circle in perspective is always an ellipse. An ellipse in
perspective in turn becomes an egg-shaped ellipsoid. What's more, any
perfect circle fits perfectly in a perfect square. What this means is that,
if any given perfect circle is an ellipse, we can draw our lines around it,
then we have a perfect square! I'm attaching an image with this in Krita.
Sounds a lot easier than following that link's guide for a perfect square
each and every time, doesn't it?

Similarly, you can use the perspective transform to deform any given
imagine to a perspective plane(you can even drag around the vanishing
points in the perspective transform for precision).(This isn't cheating,
Krita isn't a videogame)

You can use the distance measure tool to measure pixels. In the future I
hope to get a concentric circle assistant working, which you could then use
to draw a perfect circle around each vanishing point so you don't have to
go and measure things.

I hope this e-mail doesn't sound flippant, but I want to make your life
easier, or at the least bearable till I have time to work on the assistants
again. :)