Feedback about Krita (linux) from a painter

David Revoy davidrevoy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 10:16:36 UTC 2013

Hey,

1) which would show the effect of the currently configured brush in the
>> realtime.
>
>   It's a kind of "photoshop does it, why doesn't this app have it?"
> feature, I feel.

I guess most users don't know what effect does each sliders, or how they
affect brush result.
An auto preview system does improve experimenting for sure.

>  2) It might also be cool if this automatic stroke might be compared with
>> the previous one. The same applies to the current color selection (is
>> implemented in MyPaint).
>>
> About color comparison, this is for sure useful ; I propose :
http://i.imgur.com/DaLN2yQ.jpg
( note : activating the raw in the 'advanced color selector' setting for
color history is precious )
About stroke comparison : why not. I have no idea for how to make it fit
the UI brush editor. This one is already too large IMO.

>  3) When brush outline cursor is active, it is *very* difficult to do
>> precise details, [ ...]  That is why she had to activate "Small
>> Circle" cursor to do the work.
>>
>  We should show a center dot inside the brush outline. I'm also thinking
> that we might have a cursor switch in the toolbar, because changing the
> cursor type is something that people do a lot.

 Yes, I agree. A toolbar button switching to an alternative cursor would
help with some brushes. This alternative cursor could be choosen by user
via settings ( drop down list ), but the 'small circle' could be a good
default for it. For a brush shortcut , CAPLOCKS could be a good switch for
it. I'm not sure if using CAPLOCKS would affect the Text tool ...

>  4) Default brush presets [...] not optimal
>>     i) preview images don't have common design
>>     ii) no structuring and not much grouping among them
>>
> i) Next brush kit of Ramon and mine brings more consistency to the
'preview image'. With some guidelines for the design. We hope they will
make part of Krita ( 2.7 and later ).
ii) Its difficult to do grouping ; there is no way to sort brush in Krita,
exept sorting by name ; witch leaded to stupid name designs ( ex prefixing
with A_brush for brush on top, or Z_brush for brush on bottom of list )  .
New tag system refactoring introduced a new difficultie for brushkit
creation : new saved/overwritten brush appear at the end ; and there is
still no way to refresh all resources in Krita. So, we have to close/open
Krita for each move. My next brushkit will not have particular sorting ; to
preserve good name and clean filenames. ( ex :
http://i.imgur.com/GjXTlyk.jpg )
My actual color code : Green for textured / dark blue for classic /  violet
for smudge only / checker for eraser / orange to blue gradient for smudging
(ex : http://i.imgur.com/aG0hpq3.jpg ) ; I will try to match Animtim color
code with next revision, while keeping green for texture and checker for
eraser.  ( Timothée color code aka : Black is "normal", white is "erase",
dark blue is color-smudge smearing mode, purple in dulling mode, and
light-blue for smudge-only; and then FX presets with distinct colors
fx-related colors... )

>  5) I was asked how to add a preset to the Right-click pop-up dialog. And
>> I could neither answer this question
>> nor find out how to do that. This is surely not obvious :(
>
> Use the "Save to palette" button in the toolbar.

Two propositions :
i)  Fill the right-click palette with default preset. Krita can't be
delivered with an empty right-click palette IMO, it looks buggy and it's
one of the first thing user will notice  as performing a right-click on
canvas is an elementary test (ex : http://i.imgur.com/QBvqw4o.jpg )
ii) A little wrench icon on the right-click palette widget  to access to
'Save to Palette' .