Proposal: Canvas Interaction Enhancements

Przemyslaw Golab golab.przemyslaw at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:57:19 UTC 2012

@Arjen Hiemstra

Ad. 1, 2 fine with me :) Now I understand your design better.
Using ctrl +Drag and then add shift for stepped zooming is
great idea. Similar to Blender behaviour, I think they are
calling it Modal.

Ad. 3 Oh, right.

Ad. 4 Ok, good, I agree that assistants and mirror axis could be left as
2nd milestone. I just wanted to point that out for consistency.

Now, about problem with Modifiers, ALT is used in KDE and Gnome
as window modifier. This is a problem for many apps... Blender have
interesting feature, it can use any key as modifier, like Qkey + Wkey.
I'm not sure if this will be possible in Krita, and it's unusual thing, but
just for small Brainstorming.

I like Cyrille idea with color pick, it is nice. I see 2 problems with it,
but we can avoid them with Arjen design (solution for Zooming).

1. User may want to move picker on canvas to spot the right
    pixel for color picking.
2. User may want to stop for a while to see the color
    picker preview better without changing the sample area.

Using Arjen solution for Zooming:

1. Normal color picker - modif_1 + click_and_drag.
1. Change sample area mode -
    modif_1 + click_and_drag - after that + modif_2.

Is that correct?