branch: krita-imagedocker-silvioheinrich

David REVOY davidrevoy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 23:33:07 CEST 2011

Good job here too, :)
For the Image Docker :

* Very cool, I like how it's possible to open pictures ; the 2 main tabs
for a browser file selector and an image viewer is a good design. I
already do this now with Gthumb ( an image browser) , with 'always on
top' from my window manager , and use a 'global' color picker of the app
( visible in some of my videos, like this
:http://www.davidrevoy.com/index.php?article53/digital-watercolor-with-mypaint-0-9-and-gimp-painter
, at 00:40 )  . Having an embeded solution is really more elegant,
because I can reduce krita, and krita will reduce it as well. Or re-open
it after closing.

*Color picking as a behavior is really good. Maybe for user-friendlyness
a icon of it to replace the cursor ? Not super important , as Krita is a
pro software, user friendly things are just goodies.
[note: It will be perfect for my screenshots of gamut mask website , and
to share palette ]

* Zooming : I like all the option and the button, very pro. Is it
possible to also have the mouse wheel button to pan , and mouse wheel to
zoom ? That would make navigation really fast. I also noticed the zoom
zone selection. This is great to.

* I would like to save a collection of image ( the current opened ) ,
and load this selection too. For exemple, I work on a board game, and
the 6 main characters have a color palette and spefic face. With this
dockers, I can load the 6 picture of them, and use it when I need to
paint them all together on a scene, great ! but when I close Krita, this
info ( path of the 6 pictures ) is lost. I would also like to load the
reference for my comics to work on it, then reload the infos about the
board game.

* I would like to use this dock 'undocked' most of the time. But it's
hard to place the windows with Krita, if the dockers approach a border
even at a 100px distance , this one understand I want to dock it and
strech the UI to propose a slot. This is also in other Ksoftwares, and
Boud said me during the sprint this value can't be changed easily. But I
think the developpers that hardcoded this magnetic docking things were a
bit too large for the distance. You can't place a windows in a corner ;
the result is undocked dock are really hard to place, and users dock
every thing.

* As I rarely use only one reference on my screen only, I use to paste
them as a mosaic with a image editor ( Gimp ) ; I often work like this
http://david.revoy.free.fr/forums/krita/Screenshot-management-reference.jpg
, using 1/3 of my screen for reference. For a book cover , I have past
book cover of the series, characters, photos took by the scenarist, some
doc found on the net....etc.... I can still do my collage work like
this, but if the dockers could shuffle them automagically for me , I
would love it more :)