Suggestions for a shortcut for Save Incremental Version

David REVOY davidrevoy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 22:53:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

I both like the 2 way to do save incremental :
The one Dmitry expose on the mail under is also a good method with
advantages ;
The name of the final file don't change till the end of project. This
can help for inclusion , or relative link with another program or in a
multi-software workflow .For exemple I experienced an awesome test with
the 2 'reload' option between Krita and Mypaint , working on the same
file is a pleasure. On a project like Sintel, it can help also help
workers to keep a GIT or SVN versionning of the file.

What I propose is in regards of this choice  is to keep the 2 systems ;

1. Option 'Save Incremental' as Pentalis already did ( I couldn't test
but it looks and sound good from what's written, I like the way it use
0~9 or a~z depending the filename ; smart ! )
For the shortcut ; maybe Ctrl+Alt+S  ( in PS , this one is for "save for
web" ) ; but I know because of Ubuntu usage of 'Alt' this last keystroke
became taboo in many apps. ( not for Blender or Gimp ) . btw, the F2 of
the 'save as scrap' of Mypaint is also cool because it's a single key to
press.
This option can be really good working on Storyboard too, thumbnail
sketching and sketch in general.
For this option , I like the naming foo_001.kra.

2. For the other method Dmitry posted , a preference option ( as a
checkbox in the preference menu ) to make the behavior of the normal
'Save'  keep older versions and rename ( what Blender do also ) ; with a
number box to change ( ex: keep 4 last versions / 8 last version or
all~infinite version ). This option is more designed for artist who want
to avoid overwritting errors on a single painting files ; or keep
historical . I can make easier also the creation of a WIP.
For this option , I like the naming foo~001.kra.

I hope with the ~ and _  ; collision between files will not happen
between the 2 system, if you think the design of a system like this is
good.
( ex : the first 'save' over a the second page of a storyboard :
foo_002~001.kra )

- David
http://www.davidrevoy.com