Speed of Krita 2.4

JL VT pentalis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 23:30:50 CEST 2011

I've noticed that the speed of Krita has been in steady decline since 2.3

Since version 2.4 has so many usability improvements (too many to count!)
I've avoided to rollback to 2.3 to do my drawings, however, it has got to a
point where I'm starting to worry.

I don't know how fast Krita is in the other branches (I haven't tested)
however I'd like to ask if there's a good date to start feeling really
worried about speed?, I don't want 2.4 to be a single bit slower than 2.3,
so I'd like to start hacking to try to find where our current bottlenecks
are; but I don't know which parts deep in Krita to touch without stepping on
other developer's toes, moreover, my fears may be unfounded, maybe we're
just a couple weeks shy of a branch merge solving all these problems, but,
again, I haven't kept up enough with our IRC backlogs and Krita branches to
be sure.

Should I be worried?.

Is there an upcoming branch I should be testing to help with the speed
bottlenecks instead?.

Best regards,
~Pentalis.

PS: as an example of slowness: for small brushes, in Krita 2.3 I trace a
line of any width and it appears on the screen instantaneously, in 2.4 I
trace a line 5px wide and it appears on the screen approximately 1 second
later per 400 px of total line length.