(Artists check this out) On the project to make a robust mixing texturing brush engine

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Thu Jan 6 09:30:42 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 21:46 -0300, JL VT wrote:

> Artists, now it's time to voice your requests!, preferably with
> pictures of your desired results.
>
> Remember this brush engine is not just about mixing colors but also
> about giving the final mixed result a special look, something
> resembling your favorite traditional media or something you think
> would be very useful.

The effect of soft issue applied to a pencil or crayon painting.

3D/lighting: simulate thick paint with adjustable lighting.

Single axis blending: blend colors within the brush shape, but only on
one axis, dependent on pen rotation. Could also be used as a mirror
brush, flipping content along the brush axis.

The areas where I would wish for some kind of assistance when drawing
are hair/fur and all kinds of non-trivial, large area and shape
dependent textures (example: scales on a dragon).

Would be awesome to have brush that allows to draw whole strands of hair
per stroke. Maybe combined with brushes to apply lights and shadows that
retain the relative depth of hair, instead of just brushing all over it.
Perhaps hair brushes could create a sort of depth map along with the
visible pixels?.

For regular patterns on pseudo 3d shapes, I would love to be able to
work with a few guidelines or maybe a "use manually drawn in shaped
checker board pattern to map a texture onto the picture" feature.

For some cases, a brush, that draws a regular pattern with a stroke
and/or pen dependent orientation and pressure dependent scaling, should
be good enough.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: