Question about the Advanced image selection using SIOX (gsoc 2011)

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Sat Apr 30 20:09:43 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the project:
Krita: Advanced image selection using SIOX (by Bruno Morais Ferreira)
This Gsoc project is really interesting ;-)
Good luck to Bruno for his work this summmer!

I have read that Jie Ding, mentored by Gerald Friedland, has worked on Siox, through a Gsoc, for Gimp, in 2009 [1].

This project has been a "partial" success in that it was "finished" by the student.
Unfortunately,it has never been integrated into Gimp.
From what I have read and gathered Gimp 2.8 will not ship its improvements :-(

To make it short:
Is it possible to take advantage of the work done by Jie Ding or it is unrelated with Krita because it only concerns Gimp?

From the Siox's web-page (http://www.siox.org/) it looks like the algorithm has been improved "lately" (maybe by Jie Ding...).
This even though its better version has not been included yet into Gimp 2.8 (we all know their lack of manpower...).
Naturally, for Krita's benefit, I hope this is the case in order to allow you developers to use this new version :-)

Best regards,

Silvio

[1] http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Hacking:GSOC/Archive