Photographic features and other non-paint features)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Mar 8 10:31:53 CET 2010

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Michael Thaler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Something like that would be useful, though creating a painting-like image from a photograph is not part of our vision.
>
> I think it should be part of Krita's vision. Painter's clone feature makes it really easy to create nice artwork.

We really have to stay focussed:

"Krita is a KDE program for sketching and painting, offering
an end–to–end solution for creating digital painting files
from scratch by masters."

And cloning might be very useful, but making it easy to create
nice artwork from a photo is not what Krita is for. So for now,
if someone implements a tool plugin that implements cloning from
another image using brush engines, it should go into
extensions.krita.org.

> Here are some tutorials from Corel's webpage on how the clone feature works:
>
> http://www.corel.com/img/content/community/tutorials/px/Beginner_Quick_Clone_feature.pdf
> http://www.corel.com/img/content/community/tutorials/px/Itermediate_Clonning_landscape.pdf
> http://www.corel.com/img/content/community/tutorials/px/Advanced_creative_with_brushes.pdf

Saying "Krita is to Gimp what Corel Painter is to Photoshop" is
 a nice shorthand way of describing Krita in terms people will
immediately recognize, but our vision is not "Krita is a clone
of Corel Painter". We will not include every feature Corel Painter
has, and we will include features Corel Painter doesn't have.

> This would make Krita really useful for a much broader range of people (most people are not able to create such paintings from scratch).
>
> > That's already possible, though the feature is a little buggy you can have two or more views on the same image.
>
> I don't suggest to have more then one view of a image (but that would also be useful), but to have more then one image open. This would also be useful without a clone feature, e.g. putting a photo of a still-life next to your painting. I don't think that SDI is that useful for that.

You can also have more than one image open at the moment. But
a windows-in-windows MDI implementation will simply not happen.
Qt's support for MDI is bad, and MDI is a bad enough idea in
itself -- it works really badly with multi-monitor setups,
for instance. Let the window manager manage the windows; that's
what it's for.

Boudewijn