Photographic features and other non-paint features)

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Mar 2 09:25:52 CET 2010

On Tuesday 02 March 2010, Michael Thaler wrote:
> I guess I missed the whole discussion about Krita's vision. What are
> Krita's  goals nowadays?

    Krita is a KDE program for sketching and painting, offering an end–to–end
solution for creating digital painting files from scratch by masters.

    Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are concept art,
creation of comics and textures for rendering.

    Modeled on existing real-world painting materials and workflows, Krita
supports creative working by getting out of the way and with snappy response.

You can see more on:
http://blog.cberger.net/2010/02/27/krita-meeting-2010-–-day-1-2/
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi/hacking/lastweekend.html

> I think it would be sad to remove these filters from Krita. They might not
> be  that useful for photographic related work, but they are fun and it is
> always better to have more filters. Is there a reason you want to remove
> them other then that they are not useful for photographic work?
Actually, it is the other way around, are they useful for painting work ?

> Personally I would really like Krita to become something like Corel
> Painter  for Linux, that is a natural media painting application. Such an
> application would be really fun to work with (I just got Corel Painter 11
> and an Intuos 4 L yesterday. Unfortuantely I did not have any time to play
> with it so far).
Exactly :)

> I did not do any work on Krita or KDE in general for a long time, but a
> week  ago I started a small personal project to become familiar with Qt
> again: I try to port WetDreams to Qt and extend it a bit so that one can
> export the images. Apart from learning Qt4 I want to know how watercolor
> painting actually works.
Boudewijn did such a port (but was it for Qt3), and we of course had the 1.6
watercolor. But of course, doing the work oneself is better to learn. But it
shall be noted that (and we discussed it last week end at the Krita sprint)
that WetDreams push the simulation to far with the drying stuff.

--
Cyrille Berger