Disabling save to presets

LukasT.dev@gmail.com lukast.dev at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 22:25:32 CEST 2010

On Friday 06 August 2010 23:35:53 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Friday 06 August 2010, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:
> > Lazy and crazy :P :D
> >
> > If we start to embed the gbr/gih into kpp, then we break interoperability
> > with GIMP as you are usually happy when you can reuse the bitmap based
> > brushes between apps. I like that kpp and gbr are separated.
>
> One does not prevent the other :) gbr inside the kpp, and gbr on the disk.

Let's make it optional. Maybe add some option ([x] Embed brush data checkbox)

Also what plays the role is the loading time. For now we keep quite a small
amount of presets saved,right? (I do). But I suppose in the future you will
have hundreds of presets and that will slow down loading time due to loading
a big amount of small files? If you embed the gbr, it will be big amount of
middle files.

My idea was to make some collection version like kpz (Krita presets zipped in
zip format) or just add support for zip files in the directory. Easier to
distribute, better loading time (e.g. Photoshop's abr is collection of
brushes)

> > I would propose different solution: If you delete gbr brush from disk, we
> > would remove also all the presets that contains the brush id (filepath or
> > the name).
>
> First, how do you suggest we do that if the user delete the brush from the
> hard drive using dolphin (or asset management like conduit), second, unless
> there is some kind of warning, I do not see users to be happy to see their
> presets disappear automatically.

They will see warning, e.g. when selecting the preset:
Hey , you deleted awesome-brush-that-produce-masterpiece.gbr. This
preset is no long valid. Do you want to remove it? [Yes] [No] [Grenouille]

> > Currently we address the gbr brush in preset by full path. We might use
> > just a name.
>
> Well the problem is that two different brushes could have the same name.

Yep :( Then some kind of relative path? e.g. USER_PATH/brushes/name.gbr and
INSTALL_PATH/brushes/name.gbr ? We discussed this already a little on IRC
before but we did not came to the solution.