Problems with "embedded" transparency masks onto adj. layers

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Sep 8 18:11:42 CEST 2009

On Friday 04 September 2009, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> Hi, All!
>
> I encountered some troubles with selections and "embeded" transparency
> masks for adjustment layers and masks.
>
> First of all, i have good news - i've almost managed to apply usual
> selection to adj. layers (the problem i was reported in bug 205060).
>

> And not good news. I can't manage to work freehand painting on the
> adj. layer's mask. There are two problems preventing me from that:
>
> 1) We use selection's paint device in a quite strange way. When we
> paint with a brush onto selection's paint device we just COPY ALPHA
> CHANNEL of the brush into selection. I believe this is wrong.

It used to work just fine in 1.6, where we used an alpha8 colorspace and
COMPOSITE_OVER to paint on selections, I'm not sure I understand why this
would not work in 2.x. I definitely don't believe we need to double the memory
requirements of selections to be able to paint on them: I think using a
different composite op should be enough.