Tile engine

LukasT.dev@gmail.com lukast.dev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:51:20 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 14 October 2009 18:18:41 Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> > I would like to ask if we have tile row hinting?
> > Described here http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gimp/tree/NEWS?h=gimp-1-2 as
> >
> > "The image compositing has been speed up by
> > implementing hints to the tile structure.
> > That way the render-engine knows for example
> > if a row is totally transparent and can skip
> > the calculation."
>
> Well, we do not have it as you described, we have extent() mechanism only
>  to skip transparent pixels.

KisPaintDevice::Extent() is faster then KisPaintDevice::ExactBounds(),
exactBounds() is more precise but slow (AFAIK it does scanlines)
Would we benefit from that idea the GIMP is using? Would it be possible for you
to implement it in the tile engine?

> If you mean ones describing our engine, we could discuss it, and i could
> write some if needed.
>
> I was publishing some initial ideas to the mail-list and a blog. Some of
> them have transformed a bit during implementation, but only a bit. =)
> http://dimula73.blogspot.com/

I think your blog is enough. I just want to have basic understanding what is
doing Krita behind and if I can help to make the tile engine work faster using
OpenCL or OpenGL somehow..

If you have some spare time =) you can put high-level description to
http://wiki.koffice.org.

BTW What is the status of the mip mapping and your tile engine? When we will
switch to your tile engine?

Lukas