Image formats

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Nov 12 00:03:18 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added bitmap spraying support to the spray and we discovered this:
>
> http://lists.trolltech.com/pipermail/qt-interest/2009-April/005910.html
> Cite:
> > However, KDE 4 has such a plugin. If you run your application in a system
> > where KDE 4 is installed, your Qt application will automatically use the
> > TGA plugin provided by KDE.
> >
> > Other formats supported by the KDE plugins include EPS, DirectDraw
> > Surfaces (.dds), OpenEXR (.exr), JPEG 2000 (.jp2), PCX, Photoshop files
> > (.psd), GIMP files (.xcf).
>
> So we are able to load xcf, psd files and spray them. Thanks to the KDE.
>
> My Krita can't open those files now. It stacks/crashes. I heard we plan to drop
> Graphics Magic, is that true?
yes.

> We could implement KDE way to load that images at least when GraphicsMagic is
> not available. What do you think?
On one hand it is relatively easy.

> Enki stated that we need better support then the KDE gives (layers, etc..) for
> future.
On the other hand KDE support for those is so primitive that it is close to
pointless. We would actually get better result just by using the "convert" command
and open those file as PNGs (at least we would reach the 16bit dimension), and I
am not sure, but converting to TIFFs might give us access to the layers (but I do
not have PSDs or XCFs file to actually test that).

--
Cyrille Berger