Usability of Krita 2.0

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Mar 14 08:36:04 CET 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009, Warren Baird wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just thought I'd check in and see how close Krita 2.0 is getting to be
> usable for real work.    I'm quite interested in using it for some of my
> art, but don't really want to spend a lot of time on it until it's really
> ready.
>
> If it isn't really ready for prime-time - any ideas when it might be?

We're working really hard towards stabilization right now -- there are
already some things that can only be done with Krita 2, especially if you
fetch it from svn and enable BUILD_EVERYTHING (that adds Lukas' wonderful
brush engines that we cannot include in 2.0 for string freeze reasons). But
right now people who use Krita tend to report quite a few bugs per session.
It's still really early adopter stuff for people who want to help us out with
finding problems.

We're quite soon going to decide whether we'll have another beta or a first
release candidate. We intend to have no more than one or maybe two release
candidates -- on the other hand, Krita 2.0 final will still be quite an
experimental package. I do expect it to be released in two months, maybe
three.

And 2.1 should follow quite soon: that will be even more stable and include
Lukas' brush engines and perhaps some other features that we weren't able to
get ready for 2.0.