Krita Workspace Proposal + Mock-ups

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Jan 8 20:16:46 CET 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Valerie wrote:
> > That should be doable,
>
> Of course! I wouldn't be proposing it otherwise. :) Krita
> is very configurable as is, which is the important first step
> (though... I have a few proposals to make the interface even
> more configurable...)
Do not hesitate to fill wishes to bugs.kde.org, there is usually less people
to discuss things but it's much better to remind developers about it.

> Initial workspace concepts can be simple, and more features be
> added as things progress. The thing is that a workspace is not
> just the GUI settings: it's also what resources (brushes,
> templates etc) go with them. :P
What can easily be doable for a starter is list of activated plugins, it's
allready possible to disable plugins you don't like (I don't remember if the
UI is allready available, but by playing with configuration file you can do
it), so it could be possible to offer a list of disabled/enabled plugins for
photographer and an other for painter and etc...

> > and it could be interesting to have koffice-wide, too.
> > Like a "nanowrimo workspace" and an "angry-letter" workspace
> > in KWord.
>
> I have no idea how workspaces could be used in a word processor. XD
> Shouldn't templates do the work for most of the tasks?
> A "text" workspace vs a "coding" workspace or the likes could
> work though (actually, I have no idea what nanowrimo means...)
Well think about the poor children presented with an overly complex adult word
processor :
http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2007/11/10/koffice-in-educational-settings/

> On icons: whoops, I explained that Really badly. XD I didn't
> mean icon size. I meant to have icons in the first place, instead
> of a bunch of text-only menus and lists. Think iPhone vs the menu
> you have to access to program your video recorder (or graphical
> interface vs text commands). It's another psychological thing:
> the visual presence makes an interface looks less "technical"
> thus less intimidating. It's silly but that's the way things are.

Ah yes definitively. And not only for beginners, but for advanced users, it's
much easier to look for an icons than for some text.

--
Cyrille Berger