Good article about usability of open-source apps

LukasT.dev@gmail.com lukast.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 09:36:03 CEST 2008

Good article about usability of open-source apps - here it is:
http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2008/08/01/free-software-usability

Some ideas I like and are related to me:
* Some musicians are also great composers, but most aren’t. Some
programmers are also great designers, but most aren’t.
* Software tends to be much more usable if it is, at least roughly,
designed before the code is written.
* ...multiple designers leads to inconsistency, both in vision and in
detail. The quality of an interface design is inversely proportional to
the number of designers. ...projects could have a lead human interface
designer, who fields everyone else’s suggestions, and works with the
programmers in deciding what is implementable.
* Develop and promote VoIP, video chat, virtual whiteboard, sketching,
and animation software that allows easier communication of design ideas
over the Internet.
* ...most terminal commands do not provide information on how complete a
process is, or estimate how much time is remaining. This is traditional
behavior in a terminal, but in graphical software, progress feedback is
crucial. If a graphical utility is developed merely as a “front end” to
the terminal command, it can’t easily provide that feedback.

Have a nice day
LukasT