Thoughts on Krita website presentation

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Sep 12 20:31:09 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 03:04:56 pm Valerie VK wrote:
> On separating Krita from Krita or not, the big pity is that KOffice has
> the "Office" in it. If it were called anything else, just listing Krita
> under the "K[whatever] project" would be just fine.
>
> But I do think Krita would benefit immensely from being separated from
> anything called "Office," if not in community, then at least in
> appearance. There's nothing wrong with adding "Krita makes use of the
> libraries of KOffice, and works closely with the KOffice community to
> bring you features such as embedded KOffice document layers, but it can
> also be installed as a stand-alone program."
>
> Also, despite the "K" at the beginning, it'd be nice to not make it sound
> so Kde dependent. Hell, I don't even use Kde. This is shrinking the
> userbase (and potential developer-base).
>
> On spinning off Karbon and Krita, my personal long-term hopes would be for
> an entire open source Creative Suite ("OpenCreative"?), that would include
> the following:
> - The Gimp: high-end photo-manipulation
> - Krita: painter program
> - Karbon and Inkscape: vector illustrator programs
> - Scribus

I had hoped that Krita would grow into a replacement for Gimp.  There is
already Kolor Paint  as a pure painting program.  If I have misunderstood the
rationale of Krita someone please correct my thinking.

I am not a fan of office suites in any case. Too often ease of use by absolute
beginners is emphasized over quality of output.  Perhaps KWord is the bad
child that gives the whole family a bad name.   In KDE/Koffice there are
several overlapping graphic  programs that try to do many of the same things.

For a long time now users of Gimp have asked for two things:  native cmyk
color model and 16 bit color depth. These seem to be asymptotic goals---we
never quite get there. But Krita has cmyk out of the box.

Inkscape also lacks cmyk but I have hopes it will get there soon.

I haven't fooled with Karbon yet because I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it
was a low-quality product  along the lines of Kword or else a toy. It lacks
even a rudimentary help facility or a manual with the standard KDE download
which is not encouraging. And it does not seem to have CMYK color model
either.

So my toolbox includes two different flavors of TeX (pdftex and Context),
Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus, Kpdf and Krita.  Since I work in publishing the
cmyk color model is essential.  The more Gimp-like facilities that are added
to Krita the more useful it becomes.

--
John Culleton
http://wexfordpress.com