Brush spacing / rotate / scale

Moritz Moeller mnm at dneg.com
Thu Nov 15 19:37:25 CET 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Valerie VK wrote:
>> Though... I'm not sure if the above are the best implementations of
>> this feature. XD I don't have much experience in attempting to
>> combine raster and vectors. Matthew, since you started this, what
>> is your own input on this?

I personally don't understand why the distinction between vector and
bitmap apps still exists at all in 2007 (insert 1997 here, if you like).

In most high end compositing & paint apps, strokes are defined by
parametric curves that then can be rendered as a bitmap, guided by
several (potentially varying) parameters along this curve. This bitmap
then gets composed onto the image.
If the user later pleases to edit that curve, all objects intersecting
the resp. region get redrawn (as in a vector graphics app).

Which leads to the next thing: a node-based design. The notion of an
image ceases to exist. It's just data of some sort (i.e. a plane of
pixels) that gets moved to s series of nodes. While an app that only
supports layers doesn't necessitate such an approach, I reckon it still
beneficial in any case from an implementation pov, "behind the scenes".

A stroke would then just be a node. Or if several strokes were to be
painted immediately after each other, they could be contained in a multi
stroke node (see e.g. Apple's Shake).

Photoshop, Gimp etc. just suck balls the size of planets as far this goes.

There was a vector app on SGIs that had insanely detailed parametric
brushes (all vectors). Some of them had infinite level of detail.
Everything was kept vectors until it got rendered into a bitmap at some
point. You could zoom into brushes and they would have more and more detail.
I have to dig the web a little bit, maybe I can recall its name and find
some screenshots. This was in 1997. 10 years later I haven't seen
anything like it... :)

.mm