Brush spacing / rotate / scale

Valerie VK valerie_vk at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 03:48:58 CET 2007

Please, consider anything I post here to be automatically under CC. XD
I really wouldn't want to contribute mock-ups to an open-source project
while making them copyright.

And I'm pretty aware that ideas don't necessarily get implemented,
I'm just glad to help get ideas. :)

Though for this particular mock-up, I was doing another version,
which I only just finished:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9198/editor4rh0.png

Both are under CC though, so do what you need with them. The
difference with the second one is that it includes more window
information, and a number of buttons for pre-defined brushed (the
more the better in my opinion, at least make it more than 1).

The "Predefined brushes" section will basically be modified so
there's a bar on the right where you can drag a selected number
of brushes that'd then appear in the editor. Or, whatever was the
last brush you clicked appears in the bar, and gets pushed down as
you select others. From the editor, you can also click on that
triangle there to access the rest of the brushes.

> And why not rotate and skew directly the brush outline ? It could be
> done in a  similar way than "shape" manipulation in koffice2 (see
> below for an explanation).

Well then that's splendid! :) Basically, I'm not familiar with how
applications besides Inkscape and Gimp handle these things, so I
was Hoping that someone else would know of a solution found somewhere
else.

> Not really, because with 1 you are still altering some other settings
> outside the brush.

Basically, opacity for example is a parameter I don't mind being
conserved across brushes. After all, if I'm drawing in low-opacity,
maybe I don't want the brush to change opacity just because I'm
changing shapes. That's why even if I modify the opacity on the
canvas, I wouldn't mind it applying to the next brush.

But as I said, configurable. :)

> I'm used to spacing being per-brush; this is particularly useful
> when creating "effect" brushes (especially combined with size/
> position jitter).

Actually, what you say makes sense! I've modified the second mock-up
to take that into account! (Speaking of brush effects with size and
position jitter, got any tutorials?)

> For elliptical brushes, I don't think your illustration works well.
> Usually you have three handles; angle, major radius, minor radius. I've
> never heard of skewing an elliptical brush; I'm not convinced even
> bitmap brushes (hmm, svg brushes? ;-) ) would need to be skewed.

To be honest I don't use skewing much either... Angle, Major radius
and Minor radius angle are most appropriate, and I'd modified the
second mock-up accordingly. Thanks! :)

(I couldn't change the box type though, I'm not quite sure how the
handles you speak of are supposed to look like, but I'm sure the rest
of you do.)

> Huh, for you maybe, I personally like having them (maybe just
> because I am bothered by drawing with a 5.1523241 px radius
> brush ;-) ), but  hiding them in a collapsing section is fine.

Actually, I was thinking of making the brushes rounded in value by
default. Users can chose a preference where they can have 0.0234
pixel brushes, but more likely, it'd go something like this:
- from 0.0 to 0.2, you can go 0.05 pixels at a time.
- from 0.2 to 2.0, value goes up 0.1 at a time.
- and... so forth, until at big brushes (15+?), sizes are constrained
(by default) to 1 pixel increments. I don't know many people who
want to make 15.01 pixel brushes, nor see anyone who'd even be
able to notice that 0.01 difference in the editor.

Want your 15.01 pixel brush? Open the collapsible window and enter
manually.

@ Matthew Woehlke
Say, what you say is quite interesting. Maybe it should be separated
into a separate topic on polyline placements and paths? It's starting
to deviate a bit from brush angles, and it well-deserves to be
discussed on its own. Admittedly though, I have no idea how the next
implementation of Krita handles these things either...