Brush spacing / rotate / scale

Valerie VK valerie_vk at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 04:08:53 CET 2007

On brush editing:

Actually... is on-canvas brush editing and/or hands-on brush
manipulation in the editor feasible? If it's not, please stop me
before I get too many weird ideas.

Two things basically:

1. On-canvas brush re-sizing (with mouse) + others.

I remember in Painter Classic, you could hold down the Shift key
(I think), then the brush outline appears and you can drag left
and right to dynamically resize it.

Since Krita has line tool, it doesn't need to take up the Shift
key for straight lines like with Gimp. So how about assigning it
to this? It is "smoother" in terms of resizing than pressing a
key several times.

Features like rotation, skew, spacing, opacity etc could then
be user-assigned to other "keys + dragging," or to the mouse wheel.
I know I'd assign a key to opacity (for parameters such as these,
a number appearing next to the brush during change would be handy).

2. Hands-on brush editing

Here:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/970/interfacefz6.png

It's incomplete, I haven't added many of the other things around
it such as means to access brush types. It's ugly too. :) I also
forgot the value box for the zoom option. Obviously, there should
be one.

Still, the general idea is that within the brush editor, the brush
is treated like an object (vector?) with a box around it so you can
modify it in real time. The question is what interface is best (see
comments on picture).

Basically, when drawing art, very precise numerical entries are
rarely needed. With just this set-up, the brush editing panel is
freed up of most if not all of its form altering commands! More
precise commands can still be access from the drop-down, leaving
plenty of space to add an opacity slider, a spacing slider, and
whatever else you can think of without cluttering up the interface.

This editor applies mostly the current round and square brushes.
Adding the capabilities to normal brushes would be nice, but not
urgent.

Oh by the way, the "General" ("Global"? "Master"?) setting solves
the problem of which parameters are conserved across brushes. Yay!

Is this feasible?